Youthink, and/or its affiliates and subsidiaries, is the owner and operator of various self-owned magazines, books, custom publications, newsletters, directories, and web-sites, including without limitation, www.canadawide.com, www.bcbusinessonline.ca and www.bcliving.ca (collectively, the “Affiliates”).
• What is “Personal Information”?
• Our Collection, Use, and Disclosure of Personal Information
• Your Consent to Our Collection, Use, and Disclosure of Personal Information
• Use of Technology on the Website
• Links to Other Websites
• Security of Personal Information
• Requests for Access to Personal Information
• Requests for Correction of Personal Information
• Contacting or Communicating with Us
What is “Personal Information”?
Your “personal information” as defined at law, including without limitation, as defined under the Personal Information Protection Act of British Columbia, as amended from time to time (the “Act”), means all information about an identifiable individual (“Personal Information”). This Personal Information means information that can identify an individual (for example, your name, home telephone number, personal mobile telephone number, home address, personal email address, personal fax number, social insurance number, driver’s license number, physical description, and credit card or other financial information specifically about you). However, Personal Information does not include business “contact information”, which is defined under the Act as information to enable an individual at a place of business to be contacted for business purposes, such as name, position name or title, business telephone number, business mobile telephone number, business address, business email, or business fax number of an individual.
Our Collection, Use, and Disclosure of Personal Information
Youthink collects, uses, and discloses your Personal Information obtained on the Website for itself and on behalf of its Affiliates solely for the following specified purposes:
• To inform you of the arrival of various new products and services available from Youthink and its Affiliates from time to time, including without limitation, various new magazines and custom publications from Youthink.
• To inform you of various contests, discounts, special offers, sales, and promotions offered by Youthink and its Affiliates from time to time.
• To inform you of special events hosted or sponsored by Youthink and its Affiliates from time to time.
• To provide you with any email, print, or other newsletters, online news releases, and publications of Youthink and its Affiliates from time to time.
• To inform you of customer satisfaction surveys and sales surveys of Youthink and its Affiliates from time to time.
Youthink will share any Personal Information obtained from you on the Website or otherwise only with its Affiliates. You should be aware that Youthink will not share or sell your Personal Information to any third parties or organizations other than its Affiliates. Youthink may communicate with you by email, mail, and various other means of communication for the specific purposes set out above.
Your Consent to Our Collection, Use, and Disclosure of Personal Information
Use of Technology on the Website
In order to enhance your shopping and personalize your interactive experience, the Website uses “cookie” technology. A “cookie” is a small bit of data that gets stored your computer. Like many commercial Websites, we automatically collect other information by way of electronic means, using “cookies” which are small files placed on your hard drive that assist us in providing our products and services. This information includes the address (or “URL”) of the Website that you came from before visiting the Website, which web pages you visit on the Website, which browser software you use to view the Website, your IP address, and any search terms you have entered on the Website or in order to access the Website. This data is not used individually, but is aggregated and only used to tailor the Web-site to better meet your interests and preferences. Most browsers automatically accept “cookies”, but you can usually refuse “cookies”, or selectively accept “cookies”, by adjusting the preferences in your browser. If you turn “cookies” off, there may be some features of our site that will not be available to you.
In addition, Youthink uses third-party advertising companies, including without limitation, Google AdSense, which uses Google DoubleClick DART “cookies” to enable certain interest-based advertisements on the Website and the Affiliates. These third-parties may use information that is not Personal Information about your visits to the Website, the Affiliates, and other web-sites in order to provide interest-based advertisements about goods and services which may be of interest to you. You may opt out of the use of Google DoubleClick DART “cookies” at any time by opting out at http://www.google.ca/intl/en/privacy_ads.html.
Links to Other Websites
Security of Personal Information
Youthink and its Affiliates are committed to adopting and maintaining appropriate measures and safeguards to ensure the confidentiality of your Personal Information and to protect against any loss or theft, as well as unauthorized access, copying, use, modification, or disclosure. Youthink exercises care in the secure transmission of your Personal Information; however, no transmission of Personal Information over the Internet is 100% secure. Youthink is unable to guarantee that Personal Information collected, used, or disclosed through the medium of the Internet cannot be intercepted by third parties.
Requests for Access to Personal Information
The Act permits individuals to submit written requests to us to provide them with:
• their Personal Information under our custody or control;
• information about how their Personal Information under our control has been and is being used by us; and
• the names of the individuals and organizations to whom their Personal Information under our control has been disclosed by us.
Youthink will respond to requests in the time allowed by the Act and will make a reasonable effort to assist applicants and to respond as accurately and completely as reasonably possible. All requests may be subject to any fees and disbursements the law permits us to charge.
Requests for Correction of Personal Information
The Act permits individuals to submit written requests to us to correct errors or omissions in their personal information that is in our custody or control. Youthink will:
• correct the personal information and, if reasonable to do so, send correction notifications to any other organizations to whom we disclosed the incorrect information; or
• decide not to correct the personal information, but annotate the personal information that a correction was requested but not made.
Contacting or Communicating with Us
4th Floor, 4180 Lougheed Highway,
Canada V5C 6A7
If you are dissatisfied with our handling of your personal information, we invite you to contact our Privacy Officer in writing, setting out the reasons for your concern. If, after our Privacy Officer has reviewed and responded to your concern, you remain dissatisfied, you may wish to contact the Office of the Information and Privacy Commissioner for British Columbia at:Login or register to post comments. All comments have to go through a queue